Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Running Leads to Questionable Behavior


Running is a passion. It’s relevancy in my life is more & more prevalent each day. I love the feeling it gives me. I’ll be the first to admit though, Running Can Lead to Questionable Behavior…

I’ve had a hard time getting back into marathon mode since the MCM. This has led me down a rocky road. I have 10 weeks until my next marathon, March 3rd! The feeling I get most days when I think how quickly time is passing is one of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! However, I THINK I am FINALLY on my way. The other day, I told my hubs that I was READY to run again. Ya see, I made up my mind to do the Little Rock Marathon, but my heart did not agree… YET! I’ve had not so many great runs since the decision was made. Today, well, today was different. Today is CHRISTMAS & as I lain around in my flannel jams, I kept trying to talk myself out of today’s run. It’s cold. It’s windy. It’s too late. It’s Christmas. But as I kept coming up with reasons, I got more anxious & KNEW I was ready.

I took off on my run, all bundled up in cold weather gear. I got a lot of stares from passersby & I started to question my behavior. NINETEEN degrees sounds a little chilly & indeed it was! Upon taking off on this run, I questioned whether my cold weather full face mask was even cleaned after the last cold weather run (which was probably back in February). I stopped one time after realizing my questionable behavior had led me to having a piece of hair stuck in my gum (that I had already been chewing for a good 15 mins). I thought it was in there, but I just kept chewing. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore. I pulled down my mask & pulled the hair outta the gum. In doing so, the gum froze. Meh, it warmed up nicely once I started chewing again. There was one time where my music suddenly turned quite slow for running. My questionable behavior led to a little dancing on the side of the road while finding the correct play list. Again, there were a few “looks”. I know I’ve mentioned the weather was a bit on the “chilly” side, but I don’t know how to stress just HOW chilly 19 is to a runner. My wrist was frozen, as were most of my fingers (Duh. Yes, I had on gloves) & my thighs were ICE! As I was running, I kept wondering HOW questionable of behavior was I willing to admit to today. I kept thinking about my poor thighs & how much they hurt from being so cold. It was like they were being stabbed a thousand times by needles. Yes! THAT cold! Most questionable of my behavior was the thought of how to keep my thighs warm… I wonder if it would help if I peed? It would be warm. I wonder how long it would take for the pee to freeze? Wonder if I could make it home before it froze. Yep! That’s questionable behavior alright.

NO WORRIES my friends… I didn’t even neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to pee. Rest assured, it was the 19 degrees making me delusional. I’ll leave that questionable behavior for another day. The good that came from my questionable behavior today was that I got in a pretty good 6 mile Christmas day run! Nothing wrong with that!

Merry Christmas & happy running y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment